Another fantasy fair looms on the horizon, and the theme this time is... Vampires and Zombies!!!
Stay tuned for further costume details, but in the meantime I have spent the last couple of days working on this little gem:
I started off with a strip of black chiffon and using a lighter I melted the edges to give it a bit of a rough look (also so that I wouldn't have to hem it Ha!) Then I double pleated it like this:
It was a painstaking process involving many, many pins. Once I had the pleats in place I inserted the red bits so that they would stick out between the pleats.
The next step was to sew the choker - I chose to place a stitch in each panel, leaving the pleat openings free, so that they can open up if I want to show more red. Be careful not to stitch too close to the edge - Once I tried it around my neck, I trimmed away 1/2 a centimetre on either side so that I could add the lace details - it would have been too broad and very uncomfortable otherwise. I once again had to melt the edges after the trim.
I then added two layers of organza strips behind the choker and again used my lighter to melt the edges of the organza - this gives it a ratty, old look and again avoids the use of hems. Remember this is for a costume! It is supposed to look like it belongs in Morticia's closet!
I added a final layer of some Black lace, one of my fabric roses (see previous BLOG entries) and some beads. Viola!
As a final touch I will add a ribbon at each end to act as a closure (when I get to the fabric store on the weekend :-)
The added detail below is simply safety pins inserted and clipped in from the back and can be removed if you are going for the more 'romantic' look above, or left in for a harder look:
No comments:
Post a Comment